“Who decides what should be made resilient to what? For whom is resilience to be managed, and for what purpose?”
People who depend directly on the services provided by natural and modified ecosystems for food, clean drinking water and other things important to well-being are often greatly concerned with resilience – of the ecosystems they use and the social systems which support and manage them. But the interests of conservation biologists, farmers, forest users, national park authorities and natural resource managers are rarely identical. Each prioritizes different services and values; while each claims to be concerned with ‘resilience’ of a social-ecological system.
- Lebel L, Käkönen M, Dany V, Lebel P, Thuon T, Voladet S (2018) The framing and governance of climate change adaptation projects in Lao PDR and Cambodia. International Environmental Agreements (Abstract)
- Bennett, E.M.; Cramer, W.; Begossi, A.; Cundill, G.; Díaz, S.; Egoh, B.N.; Geijzendorffer, I.R.; Krug, C.B.; Lavorel, S.; Lazos, E.; Lebel, L.; Martín-López, B.; Meyfroidt, P.; Mooney, H.A.; Nel, J.L.; Pascual, U.; Payet, K.; Harguindeguy, N.P.; Peterson, G.D.; Prieur-Richard, A.-H.; Reyers, B.; Roebeling, P.; Seppelt, R.; Solan, M.; Tschakert, P.; Tscharntke, T.; Turner Ii, B.L.; Verburg, P.H.; Viglizzo, E.F.; White, P.C.L. and Woodward, G. 2015. Linking biodiversity, ecosystem services, and human well-being: three challenges for designing research for sustainability. Current Opinion in Environmental Sustainability 14(0): 76-85. (Abstract)
- Governing Ecosystem Services from Upland Watersheds in Southeast Asia, Vulnerability of Land Systems in Asia (Abstract)
- Lebel L. (2012). Governance and coastal boundaries in the tropics. Current Opinion in Environmental Sustainability. 4(2), 243-251. (Abstract)
- Lebel L, and Daniel R. (2009). The governance of ecosystem services from tropical upland watersheds. Current Opinion in Environmental Sustainability. 1:61-68. (Abstract)
- Lebel L, Anderies J. M, Campbell B, Folke C, Hatfield-Dodds S, Hughes T, and Wilson J. (2006). Governance and the capacity to manage resilience in regional social-ecological systems. Ecology and Society. 11(1): 11:19. (Abstract)